We didn’t always do what was best for our kids. Pt 3
Sometimes when we obey the voice of God, blessing and favor don’t seem to follow immediately, but hardship and heartache instead.
That is a reality I have faced many times and I’m sure you have too! Do we have the courage to walk through these things with our children by our side or do we pull out and go into protection mode? Oh, that is so easy to do!
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
It doesn’t say here “blessed are those who might be persecuted”. People who put the will of God first and walk in faith sooner or later will be persecuted. The blessings of the righteous don’t come without cost. When our children watch us go through trials that were brought on by our obedience, it is important that they not see the polished version, but the reality of our struggle. This will build their faith when they see that God has WALKED YOU THROUGH and that the only things you lost were temporal.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim ElliottWhat do we gain? We gain a deeper, living, vibrant faith that we then PASS ON to our children. The rich heritage of faith and trust is passed down from generation to generation when we choose this walk of integrity with our children lined up and following God together!
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.
When we put God before our children, they will learn to do the same. This is a picture of our son Caleb worshiping God at the going-home service of a dear friend who lost his battle with cancer. Worship is an act of surrender. I only hope my heart is as willing.
Here is a book list of 37 men and women who choose to follow God’s plan for their lives. They are still reaping the rewards of the righteous to this very day! Heroes of Faith, 37 Volumes Barbour Publishing / Paperback
- Amy Carmichael: Abandoned to God
- Billy Graham: The Great Evangelist, Heroes of Faith Series
- Billy Sunday: Evangelist on the Sawdust Trail
- Charles Finney The Great Revivalist
- Charles Spurgeon: The Great Orator, Heroes of Faith Series
- Corrie ten Boom: Heroine of Haarlem, Heroes of Faith Series
- D.L. Moody: The American Evangelist, Heroes of Faith Series
- David Livingstone: Missionary and Explorer, Heroes of Faith Series
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Eric Liddell - Heroes of Faith
- Fanny Crosby: The Hymn Writer, Heroes of Faith Series
- For God and Country
- Francis and Edith Schaeffer: Defenders of the Faith
- Frederick Douglass
- Free Indeed
- George Washington Carver, Heroes of Faith Series
- Gladys Alward: Missionary to China
- Hudson Taylor: Founder, China Inland Mission
- Jim Elliot: Missionary to Ecuador, Heroes of Faith Series
- John Calvin
- John Newton: Amazing Grace, Heroes of Faith Series
- John Wesley: Founder of the Methodist Church, Heroes of Faith Series
- John Wycliffe
- Jonathan Edwards: The Great Awakener
- Luis Palau: Evangelist To the World
- Martin Luther: The Great Reformer, Heroes of Faith Series
- Mary Slessor: Queen of Calabar Heroes of Faith
- Mother Teresa: Missionary of Charity
- Saint Augustine
- Samuel Morris: The Apostle of Simple Faith, Heroes of Faith Series
- Sojourner Truth: American Abolitionist, Heroes of Faith Series
- Some Gave All
- Watchman Nee: Man of Suffering, Heroes of Faith Series
- Well With My Soul
- William and Catherine Booth: Founders of the Salvation Army
- William Tyndale
- William Wilberforce